This time, I don’t even know where to start. So much has happened since the last update, and honestly…not much of it has been good. Or at least the good has been overshadowed by the REALLY BAD. But, I feel I owe everyone an update since I’ve clearly been neglecting not only this blog, but my entire business in general. Here’s what I’ve been up to.
1. We moved! After a few complications, we finally closed on our old house and our new house and moved in. It was a hot 90+ degree day when we moved into the new house, but with a lot of help from friends and family, we are finally settled. We still have tons of boxes that are unpacked, and walls that are empty, and rooms that are undecorated, but the house at least feels like home and we’re happy to be here. We even had a fence put in for my sweet pup! Hopefully you can spot her in this picture.
2. Remember how I was pregnant? Well, I’m not anymore. On September 13 I went in for a routine doctor’s appointment and discovered that my blood pressure was 200/113…which is really not good. I was wheeled straight to the hospital where I was told I had severe preeclampsia and after taking a lot of blood, I found out I also had HELLP syndrome. This basically means that my blood pressure was high enough that I could at any time have a seizure or a stroke, and also my kidneys and liver were shutting down and my blood platelet count was very low. The only cure for this disease is delivering the baby. So, at 23 weeks and 4 days, Miles John Van Dalson was born. He was a tiny 1 lb. 3 oz. sweet baby boy and he lived for a very short 4 days before passing away. Jason and I are (obviously) devastated. This, unfortunately has overshadowed absolutely everything in our lives. Our time currently is spent attending counseling appointments and doctors appointments (I was in critical condition and in the hospital for 6 days – my blood pressure is still not back to normal) and fitting in everything else wherever we can. Though I’m not going to post a picture where you can actually see Miles (though if you ever want to see, email me privately and I’ll send one), here is a picture of Jason and I holding our sweet son in the hospital after he passed.
3. I haven’t exactly been neglecting the business. Fortunately, this is the slowest part of the year, but I have finished up some things recently (pictures below). This is good because I now have time to update my website (keep your eyes open for a brand new look), blog, take some pictures of all the work I did in 2012 AND I’m doing 2 bridal shows in January! Don’t worry, I’ll post the info when it gets a little closer. I’m hoping that 2013 is an even more successful year and I’m ready to dive in.
So, that’s what has been going on. Here’s hoping that the next update is MUCH more upbeat. I do want to say thank you to everyone that I’ve been working with lately for being so understanding, I really do appreciate it.
Until next time,
Oh man, have I been a bad blogger. So much has been going on with us lately and the business is doing really great, which means that I’ve totally been neglecting this blog. I’m so sorry. I have so many samples, so many final invites, and so much ceremony stuff all to get up here…so expect to have lots to read between now and the end of the year. In the mean time, here’s what is going on right now…
1. We are moving! It’s kind-of a bittersweet move, but we’re trying to be as optimistic as possible. We put our house up for sale mid-June and two weeks later we got an offer and after some negotiations, we were “sale pending”. There have been a few complications, but if all goes well, we close on our current house on August 14. Because the buyers wanted possession of the house at closing, we quickly realized we needed to get busy finding a new house. So, after a few weeks of looking, we settled on a new house, made an offer and we close on that house on August 31. Which means that we’re homeless for 2 weeks (not technically, since my kind cousin has agreed to let us stay with him during that time). Currently our house is filled with packed boxes and we are cat less (my lovely sister-in-law and brother-in-law have taken the cats until we can get moved and settled in the new house). It’s quite strange around here, but we are excited for the new adventure and can’t wait to get started!
2. I’m pregnant! Jason and I found out in May that we are expecting yet again – only this time I’ve made it to 16 weeks. We are excited, but haven’t really done much planning since we’re currently focusing on moving and all that goes along with that. For those of you who are curious…my due date is January 5.
3. Holy crap, I’ve been sick! I guess that being pregnant does that to you, but in addition to constant nausea (and a lot of vomiting) I have so far contracted during this time bronchitis (remember?) and then some awful flu virus that came with a high fever and a horribly weak body for 2 weeks. I’m hoping this is the end of my bad fortune and am doing my best to remain healthy!
4. Business is good! I’m excited to be working with all of my 2012 brides who still have weddings coming up and I’ve also been fortunate enough to already meet with and start the planning process with some 2013 brides. I’m loving every second of it!
5. We went to Europe! This is old news by now, but Jason and I finally took our trip to London & Paris at the end of April and it was AMAZING. I’m so glad we got that time together and I can’t wait until we can afford our next big adventure!
That covers most of the excitement in our life to date. I promise to attempt to be a better blogger but this will probably not happen until at least September (when we’ll finally be settled after the move).
Until next time,
Clearly I have been MIA around here for a couple weeks now. So, to get something on the blog, I thought I would list the reasons why I’ve been so absent.
1. I went to Europe! The trip finally arrived and my husband and I jetted off to rainy London and heavenly Paris for 10 days. The trip was fantastic! There were definitely some bad days (seriously, does the sun ever shine in London?), but there were more good days and we had so much fun. It’s kind-of sad to be home. I’m hoping to do a more thorough recap eventually, but not until I can catch up a little. Here’s a picture from each location.
2. I’ve been so so sick. I know it sounds whiny, but I can’t even tell you how miserable I’ve been. Before we left for vacation I went to the doctor because I had a bad cold. I was diagnosed with bronchitis and given some antibiotics. I took them and felt pretty good on the trip. I had a little bit of a cough, but nothing miserable. Then, I came home. About 2 days after I got home I started coughing non-stop. Even now, 8 days post-vacation, I have a fever, a runny nose, congestion and just overall miserableness. Here’s hoping it goes away soon!
3. I might be a tad buried. I think I mentioned before that I had no idea what I was getting into moving this business to a full-time job for me. Fortunately, things have been more successful than I could have ever imagined. Which means that the month of May, in the middle of wedding season, is madness. Add in the fact that I’ve been sick, and you can only imagine what its like over here.
4. I’ve been loving up on my puppy. Words can’t describe how much I missed my silly pup…but I thought about her every day that I was gone. Which means now that I’m back, I have to give her double the love and attention. See how sweet she is?
Those are the only excuses I’ll give for now. The point is, I hope things are back to normal around here VERY soon.
Until next time,
I was contacted by Claire’s mother, Pat to create some rustic/elegant wedding invitations for her daughter. I met up with Pat and she explained that Claire really liked the idea of burlap/twine or really earthy things. At first, I was worried about the samples…it was a little out of my comfort zone, but I ended up loving them, and so did Claire. And apparently all my Facebook followers because I received tons of comments on the pictures I posted.
Here are the samples…
Claire has already chosen her final invitation and I’m working on assembling them right now. Can you guess which one she picked?
Until next time,
Kati contacted me a couple months ago to design some wedding invitations for her tropical themed wedding. Her and her fiancé are in an unusual situation — she is currently in school and working in MI and he is living in Florida…where she will be moving after the wedding. So, to celebrate their future life in Florida, she wanted bright/fun wedding invitations incorporating some palm trees/leaves.
Here are her samples…
Until next time,